In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. Psalm 118:5

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Like an Elephant at the Circus

Have you ever been to the circus? I don't particularly like the circus, but I have been before. All the tricks and talents and all the training can be pretty amazing.

Consider if you will, the elephants. I've heard they are trained to walk that circle by being kept tethered to a steel spike in the ground from birth...walking in a circle is all they are capable of doing. Then gradually, the tether...or chain...is removed. But the elephant continues to walk that ridiculous, repetitive circle...it has no awareness of its freedom, only what it has always known...and that is its bondage to that circle.

Today, God made it clear to me that I am acting like that elephant. He has done all that is necessary to set me free. I'm already free. I've been praying and begging to be set free from my addiction to food, but like the elephant, I've been blind to the fact that God has already done that. Do you hear me? I'm already free. And so are you. Just like the elephant, I am the one keeping myself in bondage.

If you think about the Israelites and their 40 year journey in the desert to the Promised Land; God had already set them free from their slavery, and yet, they circled that mountain like dumb elephants tethered to a steel spike, for 40 years. They even begged God to return them to their slavery because it was more comfortable there and the food flowed in abundance (not a conincidental reference, girls). They remained in a perceived bondage, and only because of their choices, attitude, and hearts.

Today, I will work to recognize that God has already set me free. He's done more than His part. In fact, He has paid the gruesome price for my freedom. Today I choose to focus more on behaving like I am a free child of God and making victorious choices because I am victorious through the death of Jesus Christ. Afterall, I am not an elephant at the circus; I am done circling this mountain, ladies, and I'm heading for the Promised Land. Won't you come with me?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This gave me chills!!! I'm so excited for you and that you've had this revelation! I love your guts :)

    ReplyDelete