In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. Psalm 118:5

Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Cord of Three

In the days since starting this blog, I have seen firsthand what I believe to be the No. 1 reason God spoke this idea to me: community, sharing openly and supporting one another...AKA "disarming the enemy." In case you didn't know, satan is a liar. John 8:44 tells us "...for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

Satan's top lies to me include an assortment of heinous mistruths. He whispers in my ear, laughs in my face, and taunts me. He tells me "you're in this alone," or "she's overweight, but she's not obsessed with food like you are," or "careful, they're all looking at you," or "do you see as many fat dimples as I do?" or "they can all hear your thighs rubbing together, you know." Worse yet, when satan gets a glimpse of my desire to be free, when his evil angels start muttering and stirring about subtle changes in my behavior, he will instead tell me "it's not that big of a deal. God would want you to enjoy all the food you want. It doesn't matter what size you are! That's real freedom." Please! Someone put a cork in his mouth, a sock, a pacifier...something! I've heard enough!

This blog of ours is a place we can all be honest. It is only when we begin to share our stories that we will begin to see freedom, because his lies will no longer have power over us. God designed friendship and accountability for this very reason. We need each other. Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 says "two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: if one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

Maybe some of you, like I have, feel like you're a strand all by yourself. The reality is that you're at the very least a cord of two: you, and God. Maybe you're really blessed and are already part of a cord of three, or better yet, perhaps your cord has lots of strands (that's me, Praise God).

Do you know someone (besides God) who will love you no matter what you confess to them, who will tell you the hard things with tenderness and who will hold your heart close to theirs? Deep...and I do mean deep...Christian friendship is one of the most rewarding blessings in my life. Without this intimate friendship, I would not be who I am today. I am praying each of you will find this third member, if you haven't already. If you have, who is in your cord? Do you have someone you can be brutally honest with?

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to give a shout out to the members of my cord: Lindsey, Terri, Lori, Tesa, Julie, Melanie, and Miss Evelyn. I love you ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and of course, my amazing husband, John. He definitely tops the list. Love you, babe <3

    ReplyDelete