In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. Psalm 118:5

Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Ultimate Stronghold

I've been in a bit of a spiritual funk lately. My biggest issue is the problem I'm having in my prayer life. I hear the call, feel the nudge of the Spirit...moving me to pray or journal, and I find something else to do instead. Strange as it is, I still feel a closeness with God, though. I don't feel an absence on His part at all. Simply a lack of effort, obedience and willingness on my part.

God called me this morning, as He always does. And today, I finally went obediently to my Bible. I completed my BSF work for the day, did some work in another study I'm trying to finish...and I found a note from God, just for me. I love when He sends me notes!

As I often do, I skimmed through scripture on the surrounding pages of where my study had sent me, scanning previously marked and underlined segments, and I found Psalm 27, which begins, "The LORD is my light and my salvation-whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-of whom shall I be afraid?" Did you catch the word "stronghold?" Woah! Someone slam on the brakes! I've always heard that word used in a negative way, like when I say food addiction is my stronghold. And here's God's word telling me He is my stronghold? I don't know about you, but I like that a lot better.

And it's no coincidence of course, that this little love note to me came in the midst of a personal struggle with rebellion against spending deep, concentrated time with the One I serve. You see, God wants us to dwell with Him, spend time with Him, get to know Him personally (yes, that is possible). God told me this morning He has missed me and that's enough to melt the heart of this little girl. His girl.

So this morning I am claiming God as my stronghold, the ultimate of all my strongholds. He is the conquerer, my shield, my sword. He outpowers, outwits and outlasts them all (my apologies for the Survivor-ish reference). He is my rock, the only foundation that doesn't give way. He won't budge. He is immovable. Unlike my other "strongholds," God is the one stronghold I never want to be delivered from.

So, yes, food is my addiction; but I joyfully declare, God is my stronghold.

2 comments:

  1. Reading these is helping me. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!!! Thanks for sharing sweet friend. I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete