In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. Psalm 118:5

Monday, January 24, 2011

Good Stewards, Bad Times

What are you struggling with today? What situation has God placed you in that you'd really rather do without? For me, I am dealing with sick children, sick self, sick daycare, financial restraints (due to closed daycare), and of course, my ever lingering food issues. For you, maybe your trials are different. Maybe they're similar. Regardless, God's word has much insight to offer on the subject.

1Corinthians 10:13 says "no temptation has seized you except what is COMMON to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear." I did some reading about this verse and it's language, and found in my Bible notes that the Greek for "temptation" and "tempted" can also mean "testing" and "tested." Whether I am dealing with temptation or a test, a difficult or trying situation, it is nothing NEW to mankind. It's common. There is nothing I can ever go through that someone else has not endured. I love this because God is reassuring me that I am not alone. Likewise, neither are you.

No matter what your trial, test, temptation or struggle, God has ordained you to be exactly where you are today. And more importantly, how you make your way through this season will be a testimony to everyone around you, a testimony to the power of God's strength. A testimony to the very reality of God. A testimony to the non-believers. The believers. The saved and unsaved. The lukewarm Christians. The hot-and-cold Christians. Everyone you and I encounter is watching to see just how our God is going to get us through this, whether they realize it or not.

This subject of being a good steward of a bad situation is new to me. I know I'm supposed to be a good steward of God's gifts, a good steward of our money...but a good steward of a bad situation? That's new. But, it's oh so eye opening!

The part I look forward to most, the one element which makes this "hard time" worth it for me, is that one day I will be able to "comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." (2Corinthians 1:4) God is already using my journey through food addiction to reach out to others.

So, I ask you. What hardship has God entrusted to you? What trial is God using in your life to show others His glory? Will you choose today to be a good steward, a living and breathing testimony to His power?

No comments:

Post a Comment