In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. Psalm 118:5

Saturday, January 8, 2011

How Do Those Ashes Taste?

My ashes taste like chocolate, various types of junk food, bread...lots of bread...and generally anything else I can eat to excess (including vegetables and fruits...I'm a full-on food addict). What flavor are your ashes?

"For I eat ashes as my food and mingle my drink with tears." (Ps 102:9) If you're like me, you've been malnourished because of the ashes you've consumed. Spiritually scrawny, perhaps. Eating ashes has led to nothing but bad stuff for me, like guilt, shame, low self-esteem, and weight gain (to name JUST a few). I'm sick of eating ashes! And let's be real...who would seriously choose to eat ashes?! I'm done eating 'em and I'm done crying into 'em. *pushes bowl of ashes aside*

So what should we eat? I have spent my life trying to feed a spiritual need with a physical provision. I have recently been taught the difference between the two needs and am learning to instead feast at the table with Christ my savior. John 6:31 tells us "Our forefathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written: 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.' " Christ is our bread from heaven. Feed on Him, through His word. Seek Him when your body is screaming for food you don't need. Allow Him to finally fill the need of the heart He created in you. Who better to fill the need than the One who created it?

"He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap; he seats them with princes, with the princes of their people." (Psalm 113:8)

Let's seek more of God together and feast at the table with Him!

1 comment:

  1. I definitely have wacky food cravings. I learned from early dieting how to get high on starving and stuffing myself. Two main cravings are Lay's sour cream and onion potato chips and Reese's cups. A really intense binge is a big pile of both. I get ashamed just looking at those items on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete