In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. Psalm 118:5

Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Lion and the Plan

I have a battle plan to get me through those rough moments when temptation is screaming in my ear and my flesh is begging me to give in. The individual steps seem almost silly, or too simple to work. They do work...when I follow them. What good is a plan if you don't follow it? None at all, trust me. And following the plan is surprisingly difficult for me somedays (which is why I caved under the pressure two days ago.)

1Peter 5:8 tells us "be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." My battle plan helps keep me both self-controlled and alert. You cannot defeat the lion without a plan. This isn't just any lion. This one wants to devour you and me both. Do you know what devour means? It means to "eat up greedily or ravenously, annihilate." The devil is out to destroy us completely, not just cause an injury or take an arm. He wants us spiritually DEAD!

God's command for overcoming temptation can be found in 2Timothy 2:22, which says "flee the desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart." This command gives us three critical elements to include in our plan. First, let's address the word "flee." This word is not just the word that means leave or get out. The original word means to run as if your life depends on it and not look back. Imagine a lion sitting on your couch. You wouldn't just stroll into another room! That is how we are instructed to flee temptation. Next, we are not only to flee, but also to pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace...pursue safety. And finally, who are we to make this pursuit with? "Those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart." Our sisters and brothers in Christ. Those who support us spiritually. This one can be especially hard for some, because it requires that "honesty grenade" we talked about yesterday.

So what does a plan look like? I thought I'd share my plan with you today in hopes that it will help you develop your own. Of course, yours could look very different from mine, depending on your specific stronghold and temptations.

First, I had to decide to not take naps without John at home. I have a terrible urge for a binge when I wake from a nap, and this eliminates one intense desire to binge for me. Second, avoid the kitchen and/or walk away from the food when possible. I do fix snacks/meals for my daycare, so sometimes this won't be an option. I also try not to leave food on the counter. Third, I speak outloud, with determination, against the temptation: I WILL NOT BE TEMPTED. Fourth, I cry out to God. I pray that God will remove my desire for the food and increase my desire for more of Him. Next, I read scripture from my Scripture Journal, read my Bible or play praise music (or do all three if necessary). Finally, if I am still struggling with the temptation, I will call Lindsey or John. When I follow my plan, it works. When I don't...yep, you guessed it. It doesn't work.

What will you include in your plan? Is yours similar to mine? I'd love to know.

3 comments:

  1. Was listening to Joyce Meyer yesterday and thought about you, she was saying that we say "I can't change, that's just the way I am" Then she said to imagine yourself at your worse point... (binging- or mine, losing self control with my children) then imagine that someone (like your pastor) is knocking at your door and think about how fast you would stop your unacceptable behavior. Knowing they were about to see what you were doing. I thought about how quickly my words and tone would change. I wonder why we so easily forget that God is standing there witnessing our disobedience and we can continue to so it, knowing if He were there in the flesh looking into our eyes we would NEVER do the things we do!
    We will be victorious! Maybe we should post His pictures around our house so we can look into His eyes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To go along with Lori's comment above, how much easier is it to be hyper-aware of God's constant presence around us when we are staying in the Word and having quality time with Him on a daily basis? I know my fall to sin is almost always directly related to not spending time with God like I should. Also, I've found great power in speaking out loud against temptation myself. It's like Satan can't continue to tempt you once you've acknowledged the attack out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually made an effort today to chew slowly during lunch. I ate about the same amount but I felt like it was a good step. And tonight I stopped after a couple handfuls of fried food, because my body wasn't hungry.
    I didn't eat for about sixteen hours between dinner yesterday and lunch today. It disappointed me that I wasn't more hungry. I was hoping to have big hunger so I could eat big. But my body just had regular, time-to-eat-lunch hunger. So I guess an excuse for binging dissolved from my life!

    ReplyDelete